Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Jim Burke: Maine Charter Schools

charter school imageWant to start a charter school in Maine?  Education Commissioner, Stephen Bowen, announced the start of the process today.  Here are the links:
Maine DOE News: Charter Schools
Public Charter Schools in Maine
Maine Association for Charter Schools
Bowen statement on charter schools announcement
Commission issues first request for charter school proposals
Request for Proposals (RFP) and other Pertinent Information


Are charter schools a good idea . . . or not?  What do you think?

Image source

1 comment:

  1. I do like the idea of having other types of school models available. I question if the new charter schools will differ very much in practice. I am sure the press will be filled with glitz and glamour about how this school has "it right" and that school offers new innovations, but until I see the schools operational and functioning I may have to wait on judging good/bad. I would be very interested in working with charter school development committees to at the very least hear the discussions, plans and ideologies that are going into any new charter schools.

    ReplyDelete